Contact Center Authentication: TRUSTID Technology + Voice Biometrics
Achieve Excellence in Phone Channel Authentication
It's Time to Move Beyond Knowledge-Based Authentication
For years, contact centers have relied on knowledge-based authentication to identify callers in the phone channel. This approach wastes time, frustrates callers and agents, and has limited accuracy with personal information for sale on the black market. Fortunately, exciting new technologies have emerged that reduce or eliminate reliance on knowledge-based authentication.
Phone Channel Authentication Options
In order to make the best authentication technology decision for their contact center, organizations should be familiar with the three categories of authentication.
- Knowledge-based authentication: Uses something customers know: a date of birth, zip code, account number, etc.
- Inherence-based authentication: Uses a physical attribute: a voice biometric (voice-bio) in the context of the phone channel.
- Ownership-based authentication: Uses a unique item in the caller's possession: credit cards, key fobs and verified telephones, for the phone channel.
New Authentication Technologies
TRUSTID uses callers' validated phones as physical ownership tokens of authentication. The solution analyzes calls within the global telephone network to confirm integrity and trustworthiness-before phone calls are even answered. It's invisible to consumers and requires no enrollment, opt-in, or print of any kind.
Voice-biometrics solutions enroll customers by obtaining a reference voice print-actively or passively-and by gaining permission to use their recorded voices for comparison in future calls. In active enrollment, the caller is involved in the recording of the master voice print. In the passive approach, the voice print is obtained from previous call recordings. After enrollment, when calls are made by the customer their voice can be compared to the reference voice print to authenticate them.
The Path Forward:
Contact centers should start building an improved an authentication system immediately by following these three steps:
- Step 1: Add Neustar's Inbound Authentication, to augment your existing knowledge-based authentication and introduce two-factor authentication (2FA).
- Step 2: Add active or passive voice-bio. Neustar has partnerships with the world's leading voice-bio companies.
- Step 3: Build a true multi-factored authentication approach by layering Neustar Inbound Authentication and voice-bio inherence-based authentication.
A Powerful Combination: TRUSTID Technology and Voice-bio
Neustar Inbound Authentication and voice-bio inherence-based authentication are both significant improvements over knowledge-based authentication. Combining TRUSTID and voice-bio has several benefits:
- Best Authentication Quality Layering ownership and inherence delivers true multifactor (MFA) authentication and eliminates dependence on weak knowledge-based authentication.
- Extensive Caller Coverage No authentication works every time. For example, background noise can disrupt matching voices to voice prints. When this occurs, a layered approach that includes TRUSTID still delivers strong authentication. Likewise, ownership authentication does not always deliver an authentication credential (for example, business line calls are reported as untrustworthy because many people have access to business phones). In these cases, voicebio delivers strong authentication. Only the layered combination of TRUSTID and voice-bio increases the probability of a strong authentication outcome.
- Improved Voice-Bio Accuracy Voice-bio programs require customers to enroll. Enrollment, whether active and passive, is dependent on weak knowledge-based authentication to establish the customer's identity. Increasing enrollment authentication accuracy with Neustar Inbound Authentication improves the security of voice-bio authentication solutions.
- Faster voice-bio adoption and ROI TRUSTID's fast, passive process automates the authentication portion of voice-bio enrollments compared to time-consuming identity interrogation. This increases the number of participants that complete enrollment and speeds customer adoption. Broader and faster customer adoption drives superior voice-bio ROI.
- Improved KPIs Contact center KPIs improve when what is manual today (knowledge-based authentication) is automated with a combination of TRUSTID and voice-biometrics.