Updated: May 14, 2020
Neustar uses personal information to support data-driven decision-making and deliver personalized content without sacrificing personal privacy. These "Highlights" summarize Neustar's privacy practices. You can learn more by clicking on the links below, and by reviewing the Neustar Privacy Statement and Privacy Principles.
Our Commitment – Privacy by Design
Personal Information: Types & Sources
Please click here for a chart summarizing the categories of data we get from different kinds of data sources.
Neustar may collect, use, and disclose various types of information, including:
- PII (Personally Identifiable Information)
- CRM Data (Customer Relationship Management data)
- Pseudonymous IDs including information linked to DIIs (Device-Identified Information) such as Cookies, MAID (Mobile Advertising IDs), Statistical IDs, IP Addresses and other third-party identifiers, including TV identifiers, that do not, by themselves, identify a specific individual.
- Attribute Data
- Geolocation Data
- Log Data, including Internet Log Data, Event Data, and Service Data
Neustar collects this information from a wide variety of sources, both on and offline, such as:
- Publicly available data sources such as directory listings
- Reputable providers of licensed data derived from public and non-public sources
- Individuals, such as survey respondents, who affirmatively agree to the data uses
- Our customers, who provide their CRM Data for our use in connection with our services
- Information collected online via Pseudonymous IDs, including DIIs, Cookies, Mobile Advertising IDs or MAIDs, Statistical IDs, and other persistent third-party identifiers that do not, by themselves, identify a specific individual
- Match Partners, Coverage Partners, Rotators, and Cookie Sync Partners
- Log Data and other information created in the course of providing our products and services
Personal Information Collection, Use, and Disclosure
Please click here for a chart summarizing the categories of data use by categories of data.
Please click here for a chart summarizing the categories of data disclosure by categories of data.
Read our full Neustar Privacy Statement to learn more about the Personal Information we collect and how we use it:
- Data collected about Website Visitors
- Data Processed to Provide Neustar Products and Services
- Other Use and Disclosure of Personal Information
Cookies, Advertising IDs and Other Technologies
To learn more about how we use these technologies, read our full Privacy Statement click here:
Transparency and Choice; Privacy Choices
- You can also opt out of the use of Neustar services Cookies by using the Network Advertising Initiative (NAI) Consumer Opt-Out tool, the Digital Advertising Alliance (DAA) tool here, or the European Digital Advertising Alliance (EDAA) Opt-Out tool.
- You can learn more about online advertising and privacy at the DAA's website
We comply with opt-out requests by placing an "opt-out cookie" on your computer or device. Consequently, if you clear your Cookies on that computer or device, we will not be able to read our "opt-out cookie" and may resume collecting information from that computer or device for purposes of retargeting. Similarly, an opt-out request will not be effective on other browsers, computers, or devices you may use if you have not opted out while using that browser, computer, or device.
Please note Cookies are browser and device specific, so you must opt out on all of the browsers (e.g. Chrome, Safari) and devices (e.g. laptop, smartphones) you use.
Mobile Advertising IDs or MAIDs
You can opt-out of our use of Mobile Advertising IDs or MAIDs set by Android devices via the Neustar Choice Portal link in the Privacy Choices page on our website. Because Apple does not disclose their IDFA to users, we are not able to establish a block based on an Apple MAID (IDFA) in our system. In addition:
- Apple's iOS IDFA can be reset by the user at any time. Users can opt out of all remarketing by enabling a device setting called "Limit Ad Tracking" (LAT), which restricts advertisers from using the IDFA for behavioral advertising. You can learn how to limit ad tracking on your iOS device or to reset your IDFA here: IDFA Opt-Out.
- Similar to IDFA for Apple devices, Android devices pass the Google Advertising ID, which provides the same type of device-specific, unique, resettable ID for advertising as Apple IDFA or IFA. You can learn more about how identifiers on mobile devices are used for advertising and receive instruction for how to opt out of mobile advertising on the Google Privacy & Terms webpage.
Hashed eMail Addresses
We work with a variety of Match Partners and Coverage Partners who may provide Hashed eMail Addresses for use in connection with several of our services. You can opt-out of our use of your Hashed Email Addresses in connection with Neustar services by clicking on the Neustar Choice Portal link in the Privacy Choices page on our website. We will retain your email address on an internal "block" list to prevent its further use in connection with Neustar services.
If you use several email addresses, you must opt out for each one.
Online and Offline Data
You can choose to opt out of our use of Neustar’s Offline Data and Online Data for certain purposes. To do so, visit this our Privacy Choices page here. Please note that opting out of Neustar's processing of your data does not mean you will block online advertising altogether or see fewer ads. It simply means that the ads that you see will not be personalized for you. Ads may be served because they relate to the website you are visiting or to your current search, or they may just be randomly placed.
Your choice to use any of our opt-out tools will not affect ads placed by any other organization.
Neustar is a member of the European Interactive Digital Advertising Alliance (“EDAA”) and adheres to its Codes and Principles.
You may learn more about our participation in the EDAA's program and online behavioral advertising at www.youronlinechoices.eu.
EU-U.S. Privacy Shield and Swiss-U.S. Privacy Shield
Neustar and its subsidiaries, (i.e., Administrative Services, LLC, Aggregate Knowledge, LLC., Data Solutions Services, LLC, MarketShare Holdings, Inc., Neustar Information Services, Inc., Neustar, Inc., Registry Services, LLC, and Security Services, LLC, collectively "Neustar") participate in and have certified their compliance with the EU-U.S. and Swiss-U.S. Privacy Shield Framework. We are committed to subjecting all personal data received from European Union (EU) member countries and Switzerland, in reliance on the Privacy Shield Framework, to the Framework's applicable Principles. To learn more about the Privacy Shield Frameworks, visit the U.S. Department of Commerce's Privacy Shield Framework website. Information about Neustar's Privacy Shield certification is available on the Privacy Shield List.
Neustar is responsible for the processing of personal data it receives, under the Privacy Shield Framework, and subsequently transfers to a third party acting as an agent on its behalf. We comply with the Privacy Shield Principles for all onward transfers of personal data from the EU and Switzerland, including the onward transfer liability provisions.
With respect to personal data received or transferred pursuant to the Privacy Shield Framework, Neustar is subject to the regulatory enforcement powers of the U.S. Federal Trade Commission. In certain situations, we may be required to disclose personal data in response to lawful requests by public authorities, including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements.
In compliance with the Privacy Shield Principles, Neustar commits to resolve complaints about our collection or use of your personal information. EU and Swiss individuals with inquiries or complaints regarding our Privacy Shield policy should first contact Neustar at:
21275 Ridgetop Circle
Sterling, VA 20166
If you have an unresolved privacy or data use concern that we have not addressed satisfactorily or timely, please contact our U.S.-based third party dispute resolution provider (free of charge) at https://feedback-form.truste.com/watchdog/request.
Under certain conditions, more fully described on the Privacy Shield website here, you may be entitled to invoke binding arbitration when other dispute resolution procedures have been exhausted.
The Fine Print
Click here to read our full Privacy Statement and to learn more about our approach to children's privacy, data security, disclosures required by law or for other purposes, your rights under European data protection law, and your privacy rights under California law.
Our privacy practices and policies may be updated from time to time. We will post a notice regarding material changes on our web site.
Questions? Comments? Contact Us
21275 Ridgetop Circle
Sterling, VA 20166
Data Protection Officer:
21275 Ridgetop Circle
Sterling, VA 20166
Neustar (UK) Limited/MarketShare Partners EMEA Ltd.
21 Palmer Street